September 10, 2009

The Nibs are Packed


I’ve weighed my bags, two fifty pounders. I’ll be paying 50 dollars for an extra bag. That is $1.00 per pound. Like the cost of what, organic carrots perhaps? My quest will be to unload all the items I am dragging with me. How do I unload it? Who wants them? I’ve got seeds, books, shoes, snack bars, plastic balls, and those dam pen nibs. Yes, I said pen nibs. If I indeed find a home for them then I will rest in peace. Really. Today they have changed my view of writing. At least the chore of writing doesn’t seem like “cursive cursive” anymore. Alas, I can say this because I have a year off and when I teach I never teach penmanship anyway. I teach keyboarding (thank you Mavis Beacon).

Now, I’m bringing 20 boxes of 141 nibs to Tanzania, and nobody asked from them. They asked for nail clippers, pens, globes, shoes, sheets, and Parmesan cheese, but not nibs. Well, I never get what I ask for (does my sabbatical count?), so these folks will get Esterbrook school medium firm nibs. Like it our leave it.