November 14, 2009

A GOOD HAIRDAY ON THE FARM



Today is a fine day to take off my hat and go to the hairdresser. Wish you were here.



Learning curve-- week5


Well, I finally did it. It is not quiet basketry, but it is weaving. The women folk gather papyrus and make mats. I had a marvelous teacher, Mos, or mama Rama. I’m not skilled enough to start the weaving on my own but I can say I enjoy every part of the process. After posing questions (in general showing eager interest in the best I understand you -you understand me non-language full body communication I could muster), she gleefully dusted off her mat which was inside on the wall. This, by the way, is the only Tanzania house that I have entered. I think she said she wanted me to actually take it home as a gift, but the tears welled up in my eyes and I left the house before she could take it down.

To split the fibrous veins she used a knife and then cut each blade into 4 strands, leaving two attached. They served a function later, when they were woven. The halves were held in place, near her hands while she wove until she needed new material, thus saving the step of picking up new pieces from her lap. Thank you Mos for your kindness and for calling me your rafiki (friend).