March 4, 2010

Flying High


Last year I bit the bullet and am now a proud owner of a frequent flyer credit card. My statement claims that I can boost 58,000 miles after receiving doubled credits for the promotion. I’m working hard for those miles (remember mine is a travel sabbatical) so I’ve decide to do a little running total, which will include driving time, but exclude mule, swimming, boat and hiking miles. I’ve started the calculations from my trip to Tanzania so the summer trip that started in July 2009 to New York and the UP won’t count.

















20,000 SFO – Dar es Salaam, Tanzania flying (plus boat rides)

2,060 SFO- Mulege, Baja CA, Mexico round trip driving (plus mule ride)

1,060 SFO- Mexicali, Mexico round trip driving

600 SFO- Zzyzx, CA round trip driving

2,500 SFO – West Palm Beach, FL flying

607 West Palm Beach,FL – New Berne, NC flying (plus boat ride)

2,560 New Berne, NC – SFO flying

588 Rosemond, CA driving


This is one traveling fool with nearly with 30,000 real time miles in 6 months, averages to 5,000 miles per month, which doesn’t bode well for my carbon footprint even if I don’t do plastic.